There is a restaurant in Phoenix that makes delicious taco salad bowls. This is an attempt at a home-made version of that same taco bowl - just without the higher price-tag and delivery fee! The ingredients pictured are below but feel free to riff off of this to suit your tastes. Sub ground beef, steak, chicken or tofu - and play with the toppings! These are delish and so easy. For the kids let them build their own simple bowls, for example just rice, turkey meat and some avocado.
• ground turkey and packet of taco seasoning • rice (optional...we used frozen rice from Trader Joes) • 1 can black beans, strained, rinsed and dried • avocado • diced jalepeno
• diced red onion • romaine lettuce sliced thinly • cherry tomatoes, halved • tortilla chips, crushed for a topping (optional) • Avocado-Cilantro Bolthouse Salad Dressing (Can be found at Safeway in produce section)
1. Prepare all your sides: dice your jalepeno, cut the tomatoes and red onions, etc. Place each in a ziplock bag in fridge for use later if doing this earlier in the day.
2. Once toppings are ready, cook the meat and taco seasoning.
3. When meat is finished, cook rice in microwave.
4. Put all elements out and let everyone make their own bowls!