These burgers and cilantro-lime mayo simply cannot be beat! The ingredients add interest to turkey when you just don't want or need a red meat burger. They are kiddo and husband approved - and the cilantro-lime mayo really takes them up a notch. Serve with a brioche bun or if you're doing Whole 30, simply omit the bun factor. These are also great for entertaining - pair with a salad or slaw!
• 1 lb dark-meat turkey (93% lean or less) • 2-3 scallions, sliced • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard • 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, leaves pulled off stem and chopped • salt and pepper
1. In a medium bowl, gently combine (with a fork, spatula or gently with your hands) the turkey, scallions, mustard and thyme. Be careful not to overmix- the more you handle and stir, the denser your burger will be. You might also squeeze out some of the juices and end up with a drier burger.
2. Form the mixture into four patties and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. You can make this ahead of time by assembling the patties in the morning, and covering and refrigerating them until dinner.
4. You can either grill the burgers 6 to 8 minutes per side, or cook them in a skillet. If you're using a skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
*tip: don't press down on the patties when you grill them, or you will squeeze out and lose the flavorful juices.
makes enough for 4 burgers
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise - regular mayo not miracle whip • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro • 2 tsp fresh lime juice • 2 garlic cloves, minced
1. In a small bowl or ramekin, whisk together the mayo, minced cilantro, lime juice and garlic until combined.
2. That's it! Refrigerate mayo until needed. This can even be made a day ahead of time. Slather on those burgers and enjoy!
*Recipe by Marin Mama Cooks