This is an easy weeknight recipe that is is also healthy as the chicken is baked and not deep fried! It's a hit for the whole family and can be prepared ahead of time, then thrown into the oven when it's dinner time. Laura paired with roasted broccoli and home-made garlic bread.
• 4 chicken regular breasts (sliced in half to make 8 thinner breasts) or 8 thin cut breasts. • 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese • 2 tbsp butter, melted (or EVOO) • 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese • 1 cup marinara (we use Rao's) • cooking spray • A few bunches of broccolini or head of broccoli to roast as a side
• ciabatta rolls to make garlic bread
• butter and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (for garlic bread)
1. Preheat oven to 450. Spray a large baking sheet (you may need 2 baking sheets) with spray so chicken won't stick.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl to dredge chicken breasts. Melt butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Lightly spray a little more oil on top and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes, remove from oven and spoon 1 tablespoon marinara sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with a heap of shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Can also add garlic bread to oven during this step - see below!
4. While chicken is cooking, prepare broccoli and garlic bread. Halve ciabatta rolls and spread out on a baking sheet. Mince a few garlic cloves (I used 3). Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter in a dish and add minced garlic to melted butter. Spread butter mixture on top of rolls. Place in broiler (or 425 oven with chicken about 5 minutes before it's done).
5. Same with broccoli! When chicken is cooking cut up your broccoli florets and add to a baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO (just enough to coat evenly) and add some salt and pepper. Throw into the 425 oven about 10 minutes before chicken is done.
*Recipe by Skinnytaste.com